Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Sawadee-ka from Bangkok!

I have arrived!

After some tough goodbyes to family and friends at the airport, and a hectic 24 hours of travel, I landed at BKK at about midnight. My classmate Bethany and I were picked up by the director of our program, Sandra, and her husband. We spent our first night at their house, a gated community about 10 minutes away from the airport.

The next morning we moved into our apartments.



Yeah, I know right?! How awesome (or yee-um in Thai) is that? I share a two bedroom apartment with two other girls, both from Canada, who are in my class. We even have our own little kitchen!
There is two males in our class that we met Saturday afternoon. Saturday evening, we all walked across the parking lot to the huge mall that is in our backyard. Malls are EVERYWHERE in Bangkok, and they are huge. We ate at the food court for supper, which averages around 50 baht (around $1.60). Yep, you heard me right. Everything here is ridiculously cheap. And i'm not talking about a few noodles. These meals are the real deal. 
Later that evening, we went to a night bazaar across the city. Thai people are awesome. Everywhere you look something unusual is happening.  


Monday morning we started class. This first week is culture week, so we are learning about contextualization and how we can serve the culture that is hosting us, and learn about why the culture you come from may not be "right" or the "best." I am loving it. I have never felt so ignorant in my life, and it is fantastic. I love seeing and learning about the differences, and I can't wait to see what else God is going to show me.

Thank you for your love and prayers from afar!

Kelly

2 comments:

  1. I love this. Thanks for keeping us all posted! I already feel SO excited for you. Missing you around here ALREADY! Love you lots, praying always..
    -Cloe

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I have never felt so ignorant in my life, and it is fantastic...."
    Aww Kelly - this made me tear up - so you...so real, so authentic! Yay God! Keep the posts coming!!

    Hugs to you!!

    C&D

    Darryl forwarded this to me...could you add - the.redhead@sasktel.net to your mailing list, please! :)

    ReplyDelete