Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Manang Kelly

Dearest Friends and Family...

        It's been almost three weeks since I arrived at Noah's Ark. Life here has gotten better and better every day, with new opportunities to serve popping up everywhere, and new relationships forming and growing deeper!
     I am amazed at the chances God has given me to serve. I now have the opportunity to teach in an elementary school that is a 20 minute walk from Noah's Ark every Monday and Friday. I teach sixth grade Christian Ethics. Yes, me. Kelly Braun. Is teaching Christian Ethics. To breathing people. This is a heavy responsibility for me. Most of the kids in my classes do not come from Christian homes, and I can present the Gospel throughout the class in my teaching. I have a few ideas to go off of for my lesson, but I form it myself. I am BLESSED.
On Friday nights, we go to "Young Peoples" with our high school kids. There is a tendency here for people to ask you to speak at a moment's notice, even though they know that us Westerners prefer some prep time. This past Friday, Bethany and I were sitting in the pew, listening to some of the kids talk in the local dialect. Well, sort of listening. I zoned out pretty quickly. Somewhere in my trance I realized that everyone had stopped talking. I looked up, and everyone was staring at us. I realized they probably wanted us to speak, but they hadn't asked in English. I told them "I'm sorry, but I didn't prepare anything." They responded with, "It's okay!" And waved me forward. So I said a quick prayer and was able to whip out a mini sermon about Jesus walking on the water. Thank you, Lord!
I am still teaching preschool every morning as well. This has proven to be extremely challenging, every day. The children we teach know very little English, and misbehave almost the entire class. This is a perfect example of "rejoicing in trials" though, because it makes me feel like I can now handle anything in childcare!
God has also blessed my heart in working with our special needs children. I love passing a ball with them in the afternoons, tickling them and seeing their smiles, and bringing joy to them in any other way that I can.

At Noah's Ark, the children call me "Manang" Kelly. This term is like a polite nickname, meaning "big sister." It's a common thing to be called in the Philippines, but I know that God has much more in store with this title. I am a big sister here. I have been given a chance to bring smiles, to bring hope, to speak life, to bring laughs, and to show love. I do not take my title lightly. 




Us with our little brothers and sisters, on Valentines Day. We surprised them with a big cupcake heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment